This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women

This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women - Dan Gediman, Jay Allison, Studs Terkel I've been listening to the essays contained in this book as I've walked around my town this spring. I've enjoyed many of them, while finding others a bit stilted and pretentious. My favorite of the bunch probably belongs to writer Wallace Stegner. In his essay, Stegner says, "In all honesty, what I believe is neither inspirational nor evangelical. Passionate faith I am suspicious of because it hangs witches and burns heretics, and generally I am more in sympathy with the witches and heretics than with the sectarians who hang and burn them. I fear immoderate zeal, Christian, Muslim, Communist, or whatever, because it restricts the range of human understanding and the wise reconciliation of human differences, and creates an orthodoxy with a sword in its hand." I was surprised by how many of those who spoke, including Eleanor Roosevelt, espoused no absolute faith in God, but rather held to a hopeful agnosticism. It was also interesting how many of the older recordings still held relevancy for today's listener. Of course, the most interesting and humorous was the young man who explained in all sincerity how he believes in feeding monkey's on his birthday.